Downers Grove Invisalign
Certified to provide Invisalign invisible braces, Dr. Karen Blair is proud to offer Invisalign and Invisalign Teen to all her general, family, and cosmetic dentistry patients. Let Dr. Blair dramatically improve the look of your smile with this discreet alternative to conventional metal braces.
Invisalign was developed in the 1990s and has become very popular. As the picture here below shows, Invisalign uses clear plastic aligners that are manufactured by computer so that they apply pressure to your teeth that causes them to move. Every two weeks you insert a new aligner, and gradually, over a period of six to twelve months, your teeth are straightened.
Advantages of Invisalign
- The most obvious advantage is that people can’t tell you are wearing braces. From conversational distance, they are truly invisible.
- Since you remove the aligners before eating, there are no food restrictions or problems with flossing or brushing.
- They are much more comfortable. There are no metal brackets to irritate your cheek or your tongue.
- They are faster. While conventional braces can take two to three years to straighten your teeth, Invisalign typically takes one year or less. Because your tooth movement is computer-engineered, it is much more efficient and therefore faster.
Disadvantages of Invisalign
Invisalign has a very high patient satisfaction rate. People just love it for its convenience, comfort, speed, and the appearance. But there are a couple of disadvantages to mention.
- Because of the high laboratory costs, Invisalign invisible braces are a little more expensive than conventional orthodontic treatment.
- Patient cooperation is required. If the patient doesn’t remember to wear the aligners or refuses to cooperate, they won’t work.
Invisalign isn’t appropriate for every case. Some cases cannot be treated this way and require conventional braces. If you want to find out if you’re a candidate for Invisalign, give us a call.
If you have crooked teeth, your teeth can also be made to look straight in just two appointments with porcelain veneers.